Tuesday, June 2, 2015

ROSES, RUST, REFLECTIONS



Found this old antique mirror several years ago.  I wanted to hang it in my bedroom, but it was extremely heavy and I didn't want it to come crashing down off the wall.  I wandered out through the farm looking for a solution and spied a rolled up section of rusty barbed wire in the "bone yard", a place where we keep all things you just might need on a farm.
"What if I just wrapped this old wire around the mirror"  I thought to myself.   Actually I probably said it out loud.  I do tend to talk to myself.  After several attempts I got it just right.  Added a few paper roses from the thrift store and now I have this beautiful, antique mirror with time worn corners and flaking back.  I wonder about the people that have been reflected from it's surface.  Were they happy, sad, a country doctor, a tall willowy figure adjusting her hat just so, or was it just an ordinary farm girl with large, square, work worn hands putting on her hat, in too big of a hurry to stop and look at herself?  The mirror reflecting the red glow of her sun burned nose, the color of her wind blown hair, and the shine from the buckle of her overalls as she hurried by on her way to milk the goats and tend to the vegetable gardens.




I wonder what will this mirror reflect in the future?
A grand-daughter checking her hair one last time before going to the prom, a new mom holding up her little one for it's first glimpse of who they can become, an old tired woman who has lived a wonderful, fulfilling life?
I  am filled with wonder of all the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment