Friday, September 8, 2017

Windows of the Soul





I painted this several years ago for an entry in an art show.  It has been sitting, tucked away in the corner of my studio.  This past summer my husband and I traveled the roads through 10 states and often passed over the old Oregon trail.  As we stopped at several points of historical interest, I was reminded of this painting.  At the time I painted it, I had wanted to portray a strong, yet gentle woman, who had the courage to leave her home and trek west for a new life.  She is a courageous woman, a woman of strong faith, and a woman who toiled and worked hard to provide the basic necessities for her family.  Along her journey she endured many hardships, the death of a child or loved ones, hunger and fatigue, caring for others who are ill, old, and sickly, even when she is also suffering. She greets each day with prayer and gratitude for her blessings, never complaining of the hardships or giving up hope for the future.  In her eyes, the windows of her soul, I tried to convey the message of weariness, yet resilience, of her determination to put on her best bonnet (even though it is worn and dusty), and with her sadness tucked deep in her heart she faces the trail with new found joy of all the possibilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment